Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Miracle Pennies

One of the things that I love about my school and school in general, is that students who get inspired can do anything. We have one particular young lady who loves to get involved in fund raisers. Her most recent being "Miracle Pennies" through the Children's Miracle Network. One thing that I have learned in my three years teaching is that if you the teacher put yourself up and challenge the students, they will generally rise to the occasion. For instance I challenged my kids that if they did well on the TAKS test they could shave my head. They met my expectations so I got my head shaved. This fundraiser however was whichever teacher received the most money in their jar would have to kiss a pig(in this case it was actually a lamb) or get a pie in the face. The money came solely from student donations, and I am proud to say that our students gave $190.82 to help others! That is awesome in my book. These are students in high school who are giving their money to help people they don't know. Well onto the good stuff. Mrs. Martin kissed the lamb and received a pie, however, I do not have a picture at this time. Mr. Felix and myself both received pies and it went something like this.

What an amazing job that we have. We get to watch young people grow up and realize that there are other people in this world besides themselves. If taking a pie in the face or shaving my head helps them realize that then sign me up for more.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are absolutely awesome!! You are teaching these kids much more than what is in the books, you are teaching them about life!

    ReplyDelete